Home Air Conditioner - Help keep your family cooler this summer season!
We all should be pro-active in following tips to keep ourselves and our families cool this season. The pre-Summer season for Arlington HVAC contractors becomes increasingly busy and once we are into full Summer mode getting immediate help will be considerably more difficult and expensive.
The following are 8 tips to help you and your family keep things cool and comfortable going into the Summer season.
- If you don't have a programmable thermostat, buy one. The savings tally to nearly $200.00 a year. This way, when you are out of the house, on vacation or sleeping, you can set your 'stat to "Save."
- Search your house for leaky ducts. The majority of homes lose about 20% of their cooling energy through leaky ducts.
- Seal off any ducts to unconditioned areas, and insulate rooms like the garage, attic or cellar. (Families with larger homes and empty nesters consider not cooling the wing of the house no one ever goes into.)
- It may be time for an AC upgrade. Get a qualified professional to inspect your system. Look for models that have the EPA's Energy Star and replace filters at least every three months. We are offering a special for $89 get a full AC system inspection. DON’T WAIT!!
- Replace those old-fashioned, round light bulbs. The Energy Star fluorescent light bulbs use two-thirds less energy and generates less heat than incandescent bulbs.
- Turn off all appliances and lights when not in use. Coffee makers and toaster ovens don't need to be plugged in all day.
- Make sure your fan is spinning clockwise. This will create a wind-chill effect. Turn your ceiling fan off when you exit the room. Fans cool people not rooms.
- This sounds simple, but drawing your blinds will significantly reduce the accumulation of heat indoors.