Blog

Are you looking for help with projects around the house? Our blog offers helpful tips and DIY videos, or schedule a service appointment today.

A hot wall switch is often a signal of bad wiring

Spooky Green wall with Two Wall mounted lamps

There are a wide array of hidden problems that homeowners may discover in their first few weeks occupying a property. This is especially true in older houses, where the new buyer is hardly the first occupant. Many such older homes in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C., are generally solid structures but have minor electrical or plumbing issues that aren't apparent when visiting an open house.

One of the more costly problems that you'll want to watch out for is "hot wiring" throughout the property. This is when, somewhere in your house, the electricity is causing a dangerous amount of heat. Whenever there is too much heat coming from one particular spot in the home, there is the potential for fire, which could end up costing you significantly in the long run - or worse, fatally harm members of the household.

The wall switch is one area where you should be especially worried about poor wiring. These switches are designed so that heat won't build up if correctly installed, so any rise in temperature is a sure sign something is amiss. It is relatively common for a dimming switch to build up heat over an extended period - they are, after all, powering at least 600 watts' worth of light bulbs. However, heat at a receptacle is another matter; a connection there needs immediate improvement to prevent a fire.

When you move into your new house, check all of your switches and receptacles for overheating that may be caused by a poor connection. John C. Flood is one Arlington electrical service that has been helping homeowners and businesses throughout the area keep the lights on for more than 100 years - call us today if you'd like to take advantage of our expertise.