Blog

Are you looking for help with projects around the house? Our blog offers helpful tips and DIY videos, or schedule a service appointment today.

Virginia home catches fire from a faulty HVAC unit

Firefighter Fighter Practicing with Jaws of Life

This past Friday, January 31st, firefighters were called in to put out a fire that was consuming a home in Chesapeake, Virginia. The fire began around 3 p.m. and was attacking the detached garage of the home. Heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from the home from miles away. Firefighters arrived to the scene eight minutes after the first emergency call was placed. According to spokesperson Captain Scott Saunders, the fire was under control ten minutes after they got to work.

The two people who live in the home were unharmed, though they will have to find new temporary housing, as the smoke and damage to the home made it deemed uninhabitable by officials. It was reported to local news outlets that nobody knows when the house will be made livable again and it largely depends on the owners working with their insurance company to either fix their home or find a new, permanent place altogether.

The cause of the fire, according to firefighter officials, was a malfunctioning HVAC unit that was attached to the outside of the home's garage. It broke down that afternoon and caught fire, quickly destroying the entire wall where it was located.

This is not the first, and will likely not be the last, incident of a housing fire caused by a faulty HVAC unit. If they are not properly inspected and cared for, these machines can become very dangerous for people and their homes. This is why it is very important to have your HVAC system regularly looked at by a trained professional to prevent a potentially deadly incident like this one. John C. Flood offers a variety of Arlington HVAC services for all homeowners. Contact us today for more information!