Blog

Are you looking for help with projects around the house? Our blog offers helpful tips and DIY videos, or schedule a service appointment today.

Water heater causes minor fire at Poughkeepsie nursing home

Firetruck with lights on

Earlier this week, a malfunctioning water heater started a minor fire in the basement of The Pines at Poughkeepsie Center for Health & Rehabilitation. The facility first caught fire just before 2 p.m. on Tuesday, February 18. According to Fire Department Chief Mark Johnson, the fire was under control in less than 20 minutes, with no injuries to either residents of the center or firefighters.

The fire began in the basement in one of the building's 10 water heaters. It spread to the insulation that wraps the machines, creating a heavy black smoke. Fortunately, there was no serious damage to the building, as firefighters were able to put it out fast enough.

The fire was a scare for those who reside in The Pines, as it is a nursing home and rehabilitation center that is home to more than 200 people, many of whom cannot move on their own. Johnson went on to praise the work of those who are employed at the facility for complying with firefighters' directions and ensuring the safety of all those who live there. The building is designed to protect everybody from different conditions, including fires.

"We had everyone shelter in place on their respective floors," Johnson said in a public statement, "because all the floors are fire-rated, and with the fire doors, they protect the residents. The best and safest thing to do was shelter them in place and monitor smoke conditions."

Water heating systems should be regularly monitored and maintained by trained professionals to ensure safety. While this fire caused no damage to people or the building, that will not always be the case. Contact John C. Flood for our Fairfax, VA water heater services.