Blog

Are you looking for help with projects around the house? Our blog offers helpful tips and DIY videos, or schedule a service appointment today.

Water heater responsible for deadly carbon monoxide leak

Water Heater Control Pannel

According to local news affiliate NBC5 Chicago, a water heater was determined to be the cause of a carbon monoxide leak that claimed the life of one and sent seven others to the hospital. The incident took place in a west suburban Oak Brook, Illinois, mansion, where the 86-year-old resident died last Thursday morning. The others in the home - all women in their 20s to 70s - were taken by ambulances to the Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital in Downers Grove.

Officials says that the home did have carbon monoxide detectors, but they were not working at the time of the leak. The Oak Brook fire department was called to the home around 9:45 Thursday morning for a female that was having difficulty breathing, according to local newspaper Pioneer Press.

Pei Tang Yeh, the owner of the mansion, was found dead in the first floor bathroom of his 15,000 square-foot home. Firefighters then found a dangerously high level of carbon monoxide in the air. The levels measured out to 1,000 parts per square million, Acting Fire Chief Gary Clark told reporters. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be felt even at the much lower rate of 200 parts per square million. Even in a house this size, the effects would still be overwhelming.

In a statement, the Oak Brook police said that the late owner of the home had reportedly been having issues with one of the main water heaters in his home. It was used to heat the indoor swimming pool, and was determined to be the prominent cause of the deadly leak.

To avoid any potential costly - or even deadly - situations and ensure your Arlington water heater system is as safe and up-to-date as possible, contact the professionals at John C. Flood today.