It's always a good idea to perform a HVAC Pre-Service Inspection Checklist before your experienced technician arrives at your home to service your cooling system. That way, your technician has all of the information he needs, and can get directly to work getting your HVAC system into top condition.
Here are a few things to do in preparation for your HVAC service appointment:
- Know where all of the units in your heating and cooling system are located.
- Perform basic troubleshooting tactics.
- Check your air filter. A dirty air filter is a common cause of problems.
- Write down the model numbers of all your products.
- Be ready to explain clearly what symptoms or problems you've had.
- Know how long ago your problem began.
- Make sure the system is accessible by the dealer. Please remove anything blocking your products.
- If your system's products are in an attic or crawl space, please make it easily accessible.
- Lock pets in a separate room so they don't get in the way or get hurt.
- Make sure there's an adult (18 or over) home to legally allow entry to your home.
- Be prepared to answer the phone. Many technicians will call to confirm the appointment on their way.
- If you rent your home, make sure you have your landlord's permission to have your system serviced.
- If your heat pump or air conditioner is frozen, shut it off before the technician arrives so it's thawed and ready for service.
- Make available a file containing information on all prior services performed on your system.
- Be prepared to make a payment.
To print this checklist, use the HVAC Pre-Service Checklist PDF!