Skyrocketing prices for metal, especially copper, have turned a minor problem into an epidemic. With the economy in shambles and unemployment rate continually rising air conditioning/air conditioner units are being stolen for their scrap value. No one is immune since air conditioning units are being stolen from residential, commercial and industrial customers. The thefts have been to both ground and roof mounted units.
How To Protect Your Air Conditioner Condenser From Thieves
There are some preventatives measures you can put into place that are made specifically to deter theft. Air conditioning alarms and cages can cost you several hundred dollars, but the investment is worth the money you’ll save in replacement costs.
Air Conditioning Cage
Air Conditioning Alarm
There are some additional preventative measures that can be implemented and will depend on the location of your unit and you budget.
- Lighting – Installing lighting on the air conditioning unit will deter theft.
- Obstruction – Hiding the air conditioning unit behind hostile bushes.
- Padlock & Chain – Will slow down theft of entire unit, but will probably not prevent stripping of the unit.
- Fence – Fencing in the unit will delay and possibly prevent theft.
- Moving A/C Unit – Relocating to a less accessible or visible area.